Buy Self-help legal documents

This article is focused on New Zealand law and explains issues from a Common law perspective.

Browse self-help articles

How to build a new fence and have your neighbour share the cost


If your New Zealand property and your neighbour's are not separated by an adequate fence, you can require your neighbour to contribute half of the cost of building an adequate fence. This general rule and the procedure for doing this are contained in the NZ FENCING ACT 1978.

What is an "adequate fence"?

A fence is "adequate" under the FENCING ACT 1978 if its nature, condition and state of repair is reasonably satisfactory for the purpose it serves or is intended to serve. The Second Schedule of the Act sets out some specimen types of fences for urban and rural properties.

First, serve notice on your neighbour

If you have decided that a fence is necessary and that you want your neighbour to contribute to the cost, you must serve notice on the neighbour. The notice must state:

  • the boundary along which the work is to be done
  • the work to be carried out (the nature of the work and the materials to be used)
  • the consequences if the neighbour doesn't reply (see below)
  • an estimate of the cost of the work

Guidelines on the form and contents of the notice are contained in the First Schedule of the FENCING ACT 1978.

What can the neighbour do after receiving the notice?

The neighbour then has 21 days to do either of the following:

  • confirm that he or she will contribute half of the cost of the fence, or
  • dispute your proposal by serving a cross-notice on you (this sets out objections and makes counter-proposals)

If the neighbour doesn't respond within 21 days, the law treats the neighbour as having agreed to the proposal.

Guidelines on the form and contents of the cross-notice are contained in the First Schedule of the FENCING ACT 1978.

How can I resolve a dispute with my neighbour?

If you and your neighbour cannot agree on a proposal for a fence, the dispute may be resolved through the Disputes Tribunal or the District Court.

What if immediate work is required?

If a fence is damaged or destroyed and requires immediate work, either your or your neighbour may do the work and recover half the cost from the other.

What about swimming pool fences?

If you're required to build a fence under the BUILDING (POOLS) AMENDMENT ACT 2016, the extra work that is required by that Act over and above what would otherwise by required is your responsibility as the pool owner.

Cautionary notes
  • Special rules must be followed if the ownership of the neighbouring property changes after you've served a notice and before the issue is settled.
  • You may also need to check the property title to work out exactly where the boundary line is, or to see if there are any special conditions concerning your neighbour's obligations to contribute to boundary work.

HowToLaw has partnered with

Here you may discuss your legal issue with Lawyer specialising in Family, Employment, Immigration, Property, Business, Consumer Protection, Estate Law and more.

Not Legal Advice Disclaimer: Nothing on this website constitutes legal advice. HowToLaw is not a law firm and provides legal information for educational purposes only. For legal advice, you should consult a lawyer.
© 2024 How To Law | Website by eDIY